Are you tired of ..........?xml:namespace>
· Feeling like no one is fighting for working people?
· Ceos taking all our money?
· Corporations shipping our jobs out of the country?
· Companies escaping THEIR tax burden?
· Having no health care?
· Health care costs killing you?
· Making an economic decision to not utilize your Health Care?
· Having no retirement?
· Big business getting so big it seems to control everything?
· Gas prices with record profits for oil companies?
· Your hard work being exploited by a company?
· The banks exploiting the average hard working American?
· Being afraid to ask for a raise?
· The cost of living rising faster than your wages?
· Being laid off?
· Being over qualified for your job because you can't find a better paying one?
· Living pay check to pay check?
· Working in fear?
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Is This The Beginning Of A Nation Wide General Strike??
Below is the proposal passed by the Occupy Oakland General Assembly on Wednesday October 26, 2011 in reclaimed Oscar Grant Plaza. 1607 people voted. 1484 voted in favor of the resolution, 77 abstained and 46 voted against it, passing the proposal at 96.9%. The General Assembly operates on a modified consensus process that passes proposals with 90% in favor and with abstaining votes removed from the final count.
We as fellow occupiers of Oscar Grant Plaza propose that on Wednesday November 2, 2011, we liberate Oakland and shut down the 1%.
We propose a city wide general strike and we propose we invite all students to walk out of school. Instead of workers going to work and students going to school, the people will converge on downtown Oakland to shut down the city.
All banks and corporations should close down for the day or we will march on them.
While we are calling for a general strike, we are also calling for much more. People who organize out of their neighborhoods, schools, community organizations, affinity groups, workplaces and families are encouraged to self organize in a way that allows them to participate in shutting down the city in whatever manner they are comfortable with and capable of.
The whole world is watching Oakland. Let’s show them what is possible.
The Strike Coordinating Council will begin meeting everyday at 5pm in Oscar Grant Plaza before the daily General Assembly at 7pm. All strike participants are invited. Stay tuned for much more information and see you next Wednesday.